Sunday, September 27, 2009

Planning the wedding



Well its been a couple months since we updated our blog. Quite a bit has happened since then.

On June 13th 2009 Danny proposed to me at Bridal Veil Falls with Isabella. It was a great day. It started off in the early afternoon and went to the wee hours of the night.

Danny and Isabella picked me up at my Mom's on Saturday June 13, 2009 and we headed up to Bountiful. He knows that one of my favorite places to eat is up there so we started the day off at Joy Luck a Chinese place I love eating there.While there I am thinking that something big will happen while eating but nothing really happened till we were about to leave and had our fortune cookies. Danny had made a special fortune cookie for me that read "A fairy tale wedding will happen in 3 months". I thought that was very sweet that he would begin the day with my favorite restaurant and who we had talked about using for our reception decorator.

After that we headed down to Orem to his house for more excitment to the day. I was thinking that he had roses set aside for me with a cute letter or something but he had something better waiting for me to see. He had started this blog a few months ago but hadn't done anything on it. Well we came into his house and he had me stay in the kitchen for a few minutes while he set up things in the computer room. A few minutes later he directed me into his computer and had our blog on the screen and wanted me to read it. I don't think I was reading 5 minutes before I was in tears because of the sweet words he had waiting for me. By the time I was done reading we were both in tears and Isabella was wondering what was wrong. Of couse nothing was wrong and we were overwhelmed by tears and just wanted to hug each other and be together.

After shedding a few tears and sharing hugs we headed down to where things all began 11 months prior on our first date. Since we had already had lunch he didn't replay the first date all the way which was fun. We headed to Bridal Veil Falls and walked around for a bit and then he motioned me to the falls. While there the three of us were basically the only ones there and Danny was able to say more things to me as to what he thought of me and bring back memories that we had made 11 months prior. He asked me one thing that brought back the tears again but it was once again good tears. He said "do you remember me asking you if your Dad would approve of me"? For those who don't know my Father passed away 6 years ago this December from Rapid Onset Alzheimers. It has been very hard to not have him physically here with me through the good times and the bad times and this was one of those days I was really wanting to share with him. I am sure he had better seats in the house watching the proposal play out then anyone did and was right there with us. Well after more words and tears Danny asked me to marry him. I honestly don't remember most of what Danny said because I was so overwhelmed and excited but have told Danny he is in charge of writting those words down for our journals. I sure hopes he does.

Well after he proposed and I of course said yes he brought out the ring that I was dying to wear since we had picked it out about 10 months prior and I loved from day one. We stood and watched the falls for awhile and had someone that was enjoying the falls take a picture of us. After that we headed to my Mom's house to tell her the great news and while doing that we were calling and texting family and friends the great news.

I can't quite remember what we did after showing my Mom and Quinn my ring and telling them about the proposal but I am sure we just started planning our wedding.

Well Danny always wanted a short engagement and if my Mom had here way we would have been married in a month. I don't think I could have done that and am glad we had 3 months to the day to plan and prepare and give family notice for time off with their jobs.

Well the planning came and that was a big chore. I won't lie there was a lot of stress that came with planning it. We enjoyed planning and preparing things from where we were going on our honeymoon (which in the end we really didn't have planned untill the week of our wedding but that made it a lot of fun to just plan as we thought of it), what kind of cake, reception food,wedding brunch, colors,decorations etc.

We decided to go with the colors lavendar, baby blue, pastel green and pink. You would think that being early Summer it would be a litle easy finding dresses, tux etc in those colors but it was not easy. We looked for weeks for colors for the Mom's and then I finally decided I was going to have my sisters and Danny's sisters skirts made. That started out going fairly well and we had a few hiccups along the way but I have two AWESOME co workers that stepped in and were able to do 4 skirts in about a 2 week time frame. Thanks Jeannine and Denise you are LIFESAVERS!!!

Well the tux and ties for the guys were quite easy and not as stressful. Thanks Tom, Spencer, Glade, Rick, Rory, Quinn for being so supportive with the pastel colors.

Well since my 2 married sisters Becky and Maria had hired Fairy Tale Weddings to do theirs and the packages they offered where outstanding Danny and I met with them and started planning what we were going to have as decorations. We decided on heart shaped cages and fountains under a canopy with our colors through out the cultural hall. Our cake we had done from a lady I met at Michaels that teaches cake decorating classes. Our photographer was recommended to us by my manager. I had always wanted to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple for many reasons one that stands out the most is because my parents were sealed there 30 + years prior and I have always liked the Temple grounds and so we chose Salt Lake Temple. The food was done by my sister in law Cheryl and her boyfriend Frank. We decided on chicken salad sandwiches, pasta salad,and mixed veggies and a slush drink. They also did the wedding brunch which was cheeze blitzs with apple and cherry topping,ham, sausage and steak, eggs, and orange juice and fruit punch. My good friend Coleen Ellsworth did our engagement pictures and invites.

As time went on we made lists of people to invite to the sealing, wedding breakfast and reception. That was a big chore to get address' as lots of people had moved or we didn't know last names etc. It kept all of us busy in preparing for the wedding.

I found my dress on line and with altering and cleaning was a steal of a deal for under $200.00.

Well after 3 months of planning August finally came and we had a few last minute preparations and then the big day came that Danny and I were waiting for. After 13 months of dating and a lot of ups and downs in our relationship that made it stronger our lives began when we were sealed for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake City Temple. To be continued in another post.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! I am so happy for you guys! We need to get together sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this. I especially love the part about Danny asking if Dad would approve of him. I know he does.
    Would love to see some pictures, maybe the ones that were displayed at your reception. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete